Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Grateful for MOPS . . .

Honestly, if you asked me a year ago, I never would have even considered attending a MOPS (Mother's of Preschoolers) group, let alone lead one. I guess you can say, God has bigger plans (if you believe in the spiritual stuff- which I do). I heard the name thrown around a few times here and there, but never took the time to really see what it was all about. That is until my aunt hooked me up with Elizabeth (who is very involved in a MOPS group at another local church) and she wanted to introduce Capital to this awesome organization and reach more moms with a deeper connection. I really believe our meeting opened my eyes to see things a little differently. Then, upon her invitation, I actually attended a meeting and really got something out of it.

My background with moms started when Judah was 6 months old and I had to get out of the house. I wanted friends that desired the same thing and thought maybe our kids could be friends, and then maybe we could talk about mom stuff and have an outlet for stir-crazy days. Capital MOMS was birthed at that time and since we have been going strong, yet hearing the need and desire for more mom time.

[There are a bunch of details I'm leaving out, cause I don't want to bore you- but all this to say- we are launched MOPS in September 2012]

I love the women I'm surrounded by! I love seeing God birth creativity and passion to reach moms with hope, deeper relationships, and making sure no one gets left behind. The PLUNGE them couldn't be more perfect for our semester launch either- because we are doing just that- we are diving in, all the way, submerging ourselves to gain a better understanding of God, taking some extra breaths (a little time away from our kids because there is childcare!), eating some good food, and going deep with moms in our community (not just at Capital- we want to reach moms everywhere who need the break and encouragement)!

We are close to wrapping up our first semester and I'm already in awe at what God has accomplished. I see friendships being made, I see posts on Facebook about playdates that never would have occurred before, I hear about mentor moms speaking life to specific needs of moms at every table - I see laughter, joy and hope for better days ahead!

Even on those days when I feel wiped out, walking into a room full of women at various breaking points on their own journey's reminds me all over again why we do what we do.

Photos courtesy of lovemarriagebabynap.blogspot.com
Today, looking ahead to this week of Thanksgiving, I'm grateful for MOPS and for our leadership team that has Plunged with me to make a difference in our community. I'm grateful that moms trust us with their time and children and show up each week. I'm thankful.

God is way bigger than my dreams, he is the creator of them!

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

Very well said! I'm so grateful you have encouraged us and taken us on this journey with you.

Serena said...

Laine it's incredible the snow ball effect of God that has occured because you said yes to this ministry! Thank you so much!