Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pinterest Inspired Chicken Lettuce Wraps

I mentioned in a previous post that I joined my neighborhood bunco group. We each get the joy of bringing an appetizer to the party each month. If you know me, you know I HATE to cook. I know hate is a strong word, but it strongly describes my love for cooking.

Well, Pinterest has become my best friend while trying to come up with ideas for lovely things to create. I think the only bonus of this whole deal is that my family is enjoying the new creations as well. They are my tester audience.

I limit myself a little too - to what I have in my kitchen on the day of the test. This time around it was lettuce and chicken. I found an awesome pin about recreating P.F. Changs lettuce wraps (click for the original recipe) and was bummed when I realized I didn't have all the ingredients. Then I decided to challenge myself to create something as close to the recipe as I could and pray it turned out edible.

Well, not only was it edible, it was quick and easy- and uses most ingredients that I keep stocked in my kitchen.

Ingredients:
1. 2 Tablespoons Yoshidas Sweet and Savory Cooking Sauce (I buy it at Costco cause we use it so much!)
2. 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
3. 1/2 Teaspoon White Vinegar
4. Chicken Breasts or Tenderloins (I buy from Coscto)
5. Lettuce (we buy in bulk from Costco- we are on a salad kick these days)
6. 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
7. 1/2 White Onion
8. Oil, Salt, Pepper
Dipping Sauce:
1. Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce (buy in asian aisle at grocery store)- see in the picture to the right...

To make the stir-fry sauce:

  1. Prep the stir fry sauce by mixing Yoshidas, brown sugar, and white vinegar in a small bowl.
To make the chicken stir-fry (copied from the original recipe and modified):
  1. Heat oil over high heat until it glistens, about one minute. Add chopped chicken and saute until mostly cooked through, about 5 minutes with salt and pepper.
  2. Turn the heat down to medium-high. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, and then add garlic, onions, and the stir-fry sauce you prepared earlier. Stir-fry everything for about 4 minutes, and remove to a serving dish.
  3. Serve stir-fry with  lettuce and top with dipping sauce.
This was my final product (pictured above) and it was a hit!

No comments: