Monday, September 12, 2011

Pacifier Give up . . . (aka "wuba" in our house)

There are so many names for pacifiers out there...each family has their own catchy name and a good reason for it as well. Ours just happens to be "Wuba"'s short for the brand of pacifiers we have bought: Wubanubs.

My sister-in-law got us addicted when she picked up the first one at Starlight Starbright in Folsom. Judah took to the pacifier right away and this particular brand was great because they are hard to lose with the animal attached. My doctor warned us to get rid of it before he turned 18 months, but we didn't listen. He told us it would be harder because Judah would be able to communicate what he wanted, throw tantrums easier and the longer you wait, the more addicted they become. He was probably right, but I wasn't willing to give it up at the time because Judah was still teething and it was one of those "easier said than done" kind of things. Judah also is my first, so he's probably more spoiled and catered to than needed...but it's what we chose to do. Poor Ireland, not sure if she'll get the same special treatment :).

Over Judah's first year of life we collected 5 different wubanubs (some we bought, some from grandparents). In the last few months, we were down to 2 (I did lose a couple and he chewed through one as well). We accidentally left Judah's last working wubanub at daycare on Thursday of this past week and decided to maybe attempt to pull him out of the bad habit. He kept asking where it was and finally it stuck that it was left at daycare. We have a couple back up pacifiers without the stuffed animal attachment that we were using for naps and bedtime...but on Sunday, we finally misplaced all the backups as well. So we went cold turkey (cause neither Joe or I were going to go out and buy a replacement at this point). No wuba for naptime or bedtime. He didn't really cry for it...just whined a bunch and talked our ears off. This kid is a talker and becoming a parrot as well. It probably took him an extra hour of talking about where wuba went to finally fall asleep.

He woke up about 1 hour earlier than normal and whined for wuba again. He probably would have fallen back asleep had we given it to him, but we bit the bullet and woke up at 6:30am to much more talking. He hasn't really stopped talking since.

I headed out for a dr. appointment this morning and upon my return I found a pacifier in his mouth. He had dug in a toy chest and found one that we thought was long gone. So, I took the advice from a facebook friend and we went to the street to give wuba to Jesus attached to some balloons. We told Judah that Jesus needed his last wuba to give to a new baby. Maybe even baby Ireland would get it from Jesus. He didn't really cry, just looked a little dazed. We've been repeating all afternoon that wuba is in heaven with Jesus cause he needed it for another baby. Take a look at the video here:

In the car ride he brought it up again, wuba is in heaven with Jesus for another baby to have:

Luckily, Judah loves falling asleep in the car, and we timed his nap perfectly today to make that happen. He is out like a light right now, and we are praying that he takes a nice long one without any random wake ups.

This pretty much is day 2...and I think he's taking it like a champ. Now it's up to Joe and I to make peace with all the extra chatter. At least he's a good conversationalist.

Maybe a Part 2 to follow...I'll keep you updated on the progress.

What's to come in my everyday life:
1. I'm officially getting induced on September 22 if Ireland decides to stay put until then!
2. I'm moving offices at work as soon as a new desk arrives (I've got 1 week to prepare to go on maternity leave)
3. I'll let you know how Judah does at daycare without a wuba.
4. We'll let you know how Judah does with the transition of his baby sister's arrival.
5. I most post the post-laundry party blog...but for now just view pictures on facebook.

No comments: