Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Potty Training Day 1 {part 2}

So...we started off the morning by striping Judah's clothes and taking a moment to sit on the "potty seat" first thing. He definitely enjoyed getting his M&M after that first trip. Sitting on the seat wasn't the hard part, we knew what lied ahead for us was actually "going" in the toilet.

We headed downstairs for breakfast in the nude which Judah was thoroughly excited about (until his little booty sat right on his "big truck" and gave him an "owwwiii") But he moved on quickly. We kept with the reminders of saying "it's time to pee pee on the potty seat" and he would slowly walk to the bathroom to await his M&M for trying. That probably happened about 3 times in the morning. We felt like we were off to a great start. Then it got strangely quiet and I heard a little stream (luckily most was on the tile)...so we rushed him into the bathroom and explained that you need to go on your "potty seat" not in the living room area. He didn't seem to mind peeing freely at all.

Playtime was entertaining watching him do what he normally does with many trips to the potty seat and 1 M&M for every time he tried (maybe that's where we failed :). Lunch came quickly and I knew that a #2 was going to be in our near future. A few minutes after eating we went to the bathroom to attempt "the big one." He told me he had to go, and he even asked to hold my hand to squeeze (probably too much info)...but he really wanted to please us, you could just tell. Well, we read a book on the potty, hung out for about 5 minutes after squeezing to no avail.

I let him loose and headed to the kitchen to start cleaning up lunch. I should have known the eery quietness came too quickly. I asked Joe if Judah was in his sight and he said "no" and I started getting nervous. Calling for Judah he came around the corner. I asked him what he was up too, and he grabbed my hand, took me into our living room and pointed to a little nugget on the car which he quickly exclaimed was the "doggies." (we don't own a dog, but we were watching our neighbors dog and his explanation actually made sense)..so I asked Joe where the dog was and asked if he noticed the dog going potty. When ...Joe pointed out that it couldn't have been the dogs because there was a "big boy log" in Joe's eye line by the couch. Then I started dying laughing because I had no clue how in the world Judah had managed to take a #2 right in front of Joe (he was watching football and must have zoned out)then be smart enough to blame it on the dog. Wow, our child is a genius.

Needless to say, Joe cleaned up that one. Luckily nothing was runny at this point (again TMI, I know)...

We headed to my parents pool after that last incident and decided to take it easy over there. He enjoyed riding in the car with no diaper (it was actually easier to buckle him in too), then swimming with no diaper was a blast...we sat on the potty seat 2 times at my parents, had no accidents over there but no success stories either. Then headed home for nap time (I cheated and stuck a diaper on him for that because I wasn't wanting to wash any sheets). He woke up dry and we were happy.

More trips were taken at this point to just sitting on the potty seat with his reward. When in the middle of cooking dinner...the little stream sound appeared again...he backed up from his puddle on the tile and blamed it on the dog again (probably cause we laughed so hard the first time)...Now all his potty accidents were the dogs fault.

Grandma & Papa came over for dinner to give us some encouragement. Judah ran around in the nude for a bit...then we showed them how Judah could wear "big boy tractor undies" which he wasn't a fan of at first since he had been nude all day...but quickly learned to like them over diapers. They took a few turns with him on the "potty seat" but nothing happened. I decided to stick a diaper on him for bed and we called it a day.

I have to say it was quite eventful. Humorous even to some point. We hung up our hats and decided to go out for the weekend and not push him. I'm sure I could've won a few battles if I tried, but got out of the mood quickly. We wanted to enjoy our weekend together. So...we'll get there again.

Judah will be heading to Capital's preschool when I go back to work after having Ireland. He has to be in the process of potty training and wearing pull ups at that point, but he will be closer to the age, watching other friends do it...and maybe it will just work out better. I'm not stressed, we had a good day exploring that world.

We can wait till he's ready.

And the journey continues.

No comments: